Saturday, May 18, 2013

Puppy Meeting! May 18, 2013

Today we had a special training meeting for people raising guide dogs this year.  We were told we had to bring Finnegan, even though the meeting was going to be three hours long.  Kristin got up with baby around 6 (he did his internal barking alarm again) and played with him while I slept in.  It was lovely.  

This was Finnegan's first real outing and I expected him to be kind of naughty, as it was going to be pretty long. But no. He slept the entire time.  

We were instructed to get into pairs and have the puppies practice taking food from our hands.  My friend Parker and I paired up and tried to work with Finny but he just plopped on the ground.  Every time. Now, Parker is a dog whisper.  You think I'm kidding. Even he couldn't get Finnegan to wake up!  So while everyone else worked with their puppies, we sat there and mooned over Finny's cuteness. 

When you try to hold Finnegan while he's asleep, he'll put up with it for about 5 minutes. But then he starts to squirm and you have to put him down.  So when Parker picked up the sleeping baby I expected him to sit still for a few minutes then get pretty fussy.  But no.  He sat with Parker for a good 20 minutes.  

Dog whisperer, remember? 

Not even gonna lie, I was pretty jealous. 

I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the dog whisperer thing, or maybe they just have a man connection. Whatever it was, Finnegan loved Parker and slept in his arms for most of the time.



Finnegan got to do a demonstration of "Go to bed!" and did really well!  It was the only time he wasn't asleep!  We learned how to get him used to the gentle leader, and got some great tips on how to keep him quiet in his crate!  Overall, it was a great trip for Finny! 

The car ride home was especially cute.  Triton and Finnegan cuddled in the back seat.  Talk about adorable.


Finnegan did a lot better in the car today than when we first got him!  He fell right asleep, a welcome change after his rambunctious behavior last time.


Triton was also extra cute in the car.  Actually, he's never not cute.  Today is his last day with us and so we're trying to spend as much time and take as many pictures as possible.



I'll probably do a special post tomorrow just for him so y'all can see how amazing he is and how much we all love him.  Having him with me has definitely changed my life for the better and I'm so grateful for the opportunity I've had to work with him. 

For more cuteness follow Finnegan on Instagram! @finnegangdbpuppy










No comments:

Post a Comment